Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Lurking Lust In The Countryside

Thoughts from a Walk in the Countryside: It was sunny and still today. Very far from the place my own heart is in. That's why the fields and woods are such a treat. I was thinking how peaceful and permanent they looked, how unchanging. But that of course, at least superficially, is foolishness. The field I was walking by was ploughed a few weeks ago and is already producing the first shoots of a new harvest. I can't identify the plant, but I remember something about "winter wheat" from the books I read when I was a schoolboy and not reading what my teachers told me to. Two fellow walkers passed me today, both with dogs. You always have a much better reason for being in the countryside with a dog than on your own. The first was a scrawny young man, so thin you could have snipped him up and posted him in an envelope, with a handsome chocolate labrador that he was yanking around too much on its lead. He annoyed me, and we ignored each other. The second was more of a surprise. He was rather dashing. I am not used to seeing attractive people on my walks. Ruggedly and stubbly good-looking, and boxy, if that's a word. The sort of man whose physique is made of boxes - one for the shoulders, the chest, the stomach, the rump - lean, but sturdy, and very nice to look at. I look at all bodies the same way, but with women it's with more curiosity than interest. We exchanged courtesy smiles. His was tinged with annoyance that perhaps I had looked too much. Maybe he would rather have been looked at by a girl, but lust is an equal opportunities employer, and it's a very public and unlimited company. And then I did the thing you should never do when you're having a walk in the countryside - I looked back. And he did the other thing you should never do on a walk in the countryside - he looked too. And we walked on, in our different directions, our peaceful walk in the countryside ruined by some other idiot, distracting us with ideas we'd rather not have.

No comments:

Post a Comment