Saturday, 9 November 2013

The Power of Memory

Walking to the C S Lewis nature reserve in Risinghurst yesterday afternoon, I thought to check my wrist to make sure my watch was there. As I did so, I realised I remembered, quite clearly, putting it on. There was something about the clasp on its new strap, which isn't quite right, but will do until it wears out. I've had this little watch several years now, and have put it on most days, certainly several hundreds of times, maybe over a thousand. Where does one's memory store such things? Does it throw out all the old observations which can be of no use, like a librarian discarding supplanted editions of a reference work? Or are they really all still in there - untold little mental images of such a simple daily action? If so, whilst the brain could hardly be considered practical, it's most certainly astonishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment