Tuesday, 21 October 2014

Four Boxes of Spuds

Outside our neighbours' door. They are members of a local free church, and they were having a worship social (or whatever these things are called) with the bribe of baked potatoes, on Sunday night. I guess we all over-cater if we can, because to run out is embarrassing, but it seems turn-out was slight and these were boxes of leftovers. This isn't a promising sort of area for religion, I fear.

I am not remotely attracted by low church religion, and positively repelled by some of its music and most of its theology, but I found myself feeling sad for my neighbours, who are good and kind young people.

4 comments:

  1. Surely the intention was good, just the rewards were poor?

    Sometimes we raise our hope and expectations of people only to be disappointed, but surely, we're called to maintain that hope and to persevere in good works, to bring the Gospel alive in all.

    It's hard to read that a particular area isn't suitable for religion, it seems to write off all of the mission opportunities that might arise in such situations.

    Where are the Anglo-Catholic church planters of Victorian times when you need them? Or, is one of them living unemployed in a certain place, who might yet turn the tide?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't tempt me, Ernie, I'm too tired to turn that particular tide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can remember going to a party of a young girl at college, who had put on a great big spread and the only guests who turned up were me and a friend. I felt very sad for her loneliness and it reminded me of the Kings banquet in the bible when one by one the invited guests made excuses not to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When making arrangements it's a good idea to check what else is going on and to think about the circumstances and convenience of the folks you hope will come. For a church, however high or low, to put on a do for a non-churchgoing public on the same night as an international football match is foolishness. It's virtually asking for disappointment.
    I too remember a party at college to which only three of us went. A young man whose birthday it was chose to give the party in his mother's flat. She prepared a nice spread. The trouble was, the flat was just too far from the college to walk, there were no buses and none of the people invited had cars. The venue suited him but he had given no thought to how anybody was going to get there and back.

    ReplyDelete